OLD NO 31 started as a Harley-Davidson Night Train. I was just going to ride it around but they’re not the best looking when they’re standard — I don’t like chrome and shiny colours — but I didn’t think I was going to completely strip it down and re-style it. But, you know, it’s the same with everything — you just do one thing and then the next thing and then the next. I made a few inquiries and decided that Darryl from Farnon Fabrications was the best man for the job.
I wanted to keep it all ultra clean; very simple. I saw a bike I liked on the PM website, and I liked the bikes from Roland Sands (USA), so that’s where we started looking for ideas. Darryl had some ideas of his own, and I had some ideas too, so we just sort of put our heads together.
We did it in a couple of stages. Darryl put the 250 on the rear and pipes; just the normal stuff. After that he put on the 23-inch front wheel and a five-degree rake to get the front wheel away from the down tubes. More recently he installed the original, early-model, Harley springer front-end and mini-apes.
I didn’t like the big Night Train petrol tank with the dash so we went with a petrol tank from an old Triumph Tiger. I’ve always been into dirt bikes so I really liked the way the tank turned out.
Once we’d ripped out the dash we didn’t have anywhere for the speedo. Darryl suggested we put it in the headlight and constructed a tube for it to go into.
The exhaust system is from Miami Customer Exhausts from the States. Really, we just Googled ‘exhausts’ and it linked us to Miami Customer Exhausts and we ordered them over the internet.
The air filter is from Roland Sands which we also ordered over the internet.
The sprung seat was trimmed by Bad Ass Trim Co and was necessary to give it the look I was after. Everybody who does a sprung seat these days puts a cover over the battery. We left it open so you can still see the wiring and battery; really makes it look old school.
The rear chain was one of the first things we did, when we put on the 250 rear.
I don’t like open primaries so Darryl suggested we just take out the chain and put in a drive belt and dry clutch. I wasn’t sure how it would look with the cut-away primary cover but left it up to Darryl, and as usual, it worked out well; it certainly looks different.
We wanted everything black — motor, etc — but the silver is the original colour and we decided to stick with that.
The mural on the back guard was done by a mate of mine ages ago. I’m not sure about it and will probable respray the back guard in the future.
I’m not going to do anything else to it — although giving it a bit more power might be good. I am very happy with the way the bike has turned out and I’m on it every chance I get. I’ve done about 7000 km on it and I’ve never had a problem with it.
Photos by Wall 2 Wall; words by Pat.